Sugarbeets are a valuable commodity that bring huge economic benefits and thousands of jobs to our region.
- Sugarbeets contribute $300 million in revenue, accounting for about 10 percent of our region’s total cash receipts from crops.
- Processed sugar from our region’s sugarbeets brings in about $900 million in annual revenue.
- Amalgamated Sugar, a grower-owned sugarbeet processing company, has about 1,600 employees and accounts for 2.5 percent of all manufacturing jobs in our region.
- Pulp byproduct from sugarbeets is used as high-quality, inexpensive feed to beef and dairy cattle.
- About 7 million tons of our region’s sugarbeets are hauled a year, providing additional trailer manufacturing and truck operator jobs.